Vail Williams was appointed by strategic land development company, Landacre Developments, to seek planning permission for a major residential development on a brownfield/previously developed site in Ashington, West Sussex.
The site, which had previously been denied planning permission at appeal on the basis that the development was premature to the neighbourhood plan, was subsequently acquired by Landacre in 2018.
How we helped
- Worked with Landacre to promote the land through the Ashington Neighbourhood Plan process, including multiple engagement meetings with the Parish Council
- Made representations to Ashington Parish Council, developing the proposed development site into an allocation within their Neighbourhood Plan
- Ashington Parish Council adopted their Neighbourhood Plan in June 2021 including Landacre Development’s site
- Undertook productive pre-planning application discussions with Horsham Council and Ashington Parish Council
- Organised public consultation to gear up for the planning application, working with a variety of stakeholders
- Developed the planning application through public consultation and further design development with the Parish Council after successful Neighbourhood Plan allocation
- Project managed the planning application process, submitting in February 2022
- Consultee comments were carefully addressed, working closely with our client and the planning officer
- Addressed Water Neutrality considerations to ensure that the site would be water neutral, as required by Natural England
- Secured resolution to grant in December 2022 via Planning Committee.
- Provided support on the content of the Section 106 Agreement and reviewed planning conditions.
“Aside from the technical brilliance of Vail Williams’ planners, one of the core benefits of our working relationship has been the transparency with which they work. Their planning team will tell it how it is, so that you have a true picture of the risk you are taking on as a strategic land developer. We trust their knowledge, expertise and ability to get the job done, and that’s exactly what they did at Chanctonbury Nurseries.”
Robin Carr MRICS, Director at Landacre Developments Limited.
- Vail Williams provided strategic planning advice to see the site through from planning policy promotion to planning application approval at Planning Committee.
- Managed the planning application to planning committee, where unanimous support was received.
- Secured permission for the development of 74 dwellings, comprising a mix of private and affordable homes, as well as public open space facilities, included at the request of the Parish
- Holistic thinking allowed us to anticipate the impact of certain challenges, allowing us to advise the client on overcoming planning hurdles
- One of the few residential schemes in the area to be approved at the time due to new water neutrality requirements
- Achieved a biodiversity net gain of 10% over the site
- Brought together the best planners for the requirements of this project including:
- Expertise of James Williams in planning policy allowed us to provide invaluable strategic insight to the client in respect of Neighbourhood Planning
- Ben Christian’s project management expertise saw the practicalities of the process through to successful completion.
Get in touch
If you think you may need similar support to that described here, or you would simply want to have an informal chat with a member of our team to discuss your property needs, get in touch.